Sunday, October 4, 2015

This is a small billboard I came across in South LA while out with my friends that I didn't really understand. Which I'm not exactly sure is good or bad. Billboards are intended to be seen by an individual passing by at 35mph or 65mph so you would think the message has to be instantly clear. This on the other hand leaves to much unsaid but that could be what was intended. The concept behind this seems to be maybe some motorcycle rider with their head so covered by bugs that it's all you really see and I'm not sure what to infer from that. What is the message we are to take away from this? It could be purposely unclear so that the viewer will want to know more beyond the billboards statement "giving me a ride is the road to ruin" at which glancing at the website hungry pests.com makes it slightly clearer. But because of the confusing elements in the billboard I think that makes it easy to miss the website address. The concept of the winding road and the bugs covering the helmet do tie in to the text of the billboard but as a whole, when I passed by this the message wasn't instantly clear which is bad. .  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I saw this same billboard yesterday outside of Rome Georgia. I sped by so fast that I didn't see the website address either but was so curious that I google searched the billboard message and found your post. You're right, if you miss the website on the billboard, the only internet reference (searching by the billboard message) is your post. I'd say it would be an effective campaign if searching by message only led to their website but it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete